I am returning to West Texas this week to hold a family reunion with many people from the Permian Basin who have never traveled. The community of Big Spring began building a four-piece property with squatters on the west side of the river in the late 1870s. These came from ranchers, and the first rancher, Dr. Adolph E. "Bud" Miller, arrived in the area in the late 1870s.
Today, the area is home to the city of Big Spring, which is involved in the development of the Permian Basin and the oil and gas industry in West Texas. The city has 27,282 residents at the 2010 census, which is the largest city in Texas with an area of about 1.5 million square feet.
The plateaus are located in the north, west and southwest, and a bold steep plateau rises just south of the city. High Plains and is located north - west of Big Spring and south - east of El Paso, Texas.
You can drive and you will see the town of Big Spring and its many small towns and villages. One sees enough of the plain to remember that one is driving on the edge of a Chihuahuan desert.
You can hike to the top of a 200-foot cliff and admire views of Big Spring State Park or play a round of golf on the Big Springs Golf Course. Forget about sitting down during your spring visit and go outside and enjoy the scenic West Texas scenery.
To beat the heat, head to Moss Creek Lake, the largest lake in Big Spring State Park, built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The lake and the park also offer a variety of outdoor activities such as kayaking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, swimming and much more.
After the war, it was converted into a US air base and named after a Big Spring native who died in action during World War II. Webb Air Force Base was decommissioned in 1977 and its location became part of Big Spring Industrial Park.
The city was larger when the Air Force had a base there, but the economy suffered when it closed in the 1970s. The park was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps after the state of Texas purchased the site in 1934. It was dedicated to the city of the Great Spring between 1934 and 1935, opened in 1936 and reopened in 1937.
The municipality remains an important center for agribusiness and petrochemicals, and hosts local events, including the annual Great Spring Festival and the Great Spring Fair. The Big Springs Heritage Museum houses one of the largest collections known in the United States of Texas, with more than 100,000 artifacts from the city's history.
The first European to visit the site was probably the Spanish expedition that explored the Great Plains from New Mexico. Randolph B. Marcy reached Big Spring on the way back from Santa Fe and marked it as a campground on the Overland Trail to California. The spring is also home to one of the largest springs in the U.S., with a depth of 1,000 feet (300 meters).
The name is derived from the sulfur spring, which is one of the largest in the USA and the second largest in North America. The area around the large spring, which has been rebuilt to draw water from Comanche Trail Lake, is of great importance for the lives of people in the surrounding areas. It was used as a campground by early expeditions to West Texas, and Texas Pacific built the area after finding a place to water the cattle and horses of its railroad and cattle ranching operations. The completion of the Texas and Pacific Railroad led to three railroad lines and a ranch town where saloons and gambling dens flourished.
Big Spring grew dramatically in the 1950s, when its population rose 80 percent to 31,230. In 1937, the pumping capacity was 1.5 million cubic feet per day, or about 2,000 gallons per second, but it was already many years more. The same publication suggests that the well's runoff volume is about 1,500 gallons of water per minute, roughly equivalent to the San Jacinto River's runoff.
Webb Air Force Base is the largest U.S. military base in Texas and the second largest in the United States. It was opened in 1942 southwest of the city and destroyed by more than 5,000 bombers during the war.
The opening scenes with Voight, a then relatively unknown actor who played the character of Joe Buck, were shot in Big Spring and the neighboring town of Stanton. After the war and a subsequent government cover-up, Hollywood returned to Big Springs in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
The Sulphur Draw springs that gave the town its name have been home to Indians, cowboys and gold miners for thousands of years, who set out west to find gold, silver and other precious metals such as copper, gold and silver ore. The area has long been home to Native American inhabitants and nomads, including the recently established Jumano, Apache and Comanche tribes.